Sunday, May 29, 2011

Priority #1 - My God - Commands, Statutes, and Laws



We listened to another good word preached by Rabbi Ralph Messer this Sabbath. This was a scripture that he highlighted:

"For Abraham listened to and obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commands, My statutes, and My laws." Gen. 25:6 AMP

We as "New Testament" believers have rarely taken the time to break down what each of these separate words mean, and thus, have become poor in our heritage as children of God.

My Commands = This is the Hebrew word mitzvot. It has been translated as commandment, precept ("pre"- before the foundation of the world, "cept"- thoughts of God. In other words, the way He intended for us to walk from the very beginning). It has also been translated as law and ordinances.

My Statutes = This is the Hebrew word chukot. It has been translated in our Bibles as statute, ordinance, custom, appointed times, manners, and rites.

My Laws = This is the Hebrew word torah. It has most often been translated as "law." Unfortunately, we have a Pavlov's conditioned response to the word "law." Something in us automatically screams "rebel!" However, if we were to correctly translate this word, it would come out as the "instruction and teaching of the mind of God." This is the way in which, before the very foundation of the world, He desired His children to walk.

I gave one of my children an instruction one day. "Don't run in the house." I even gave a reason for the instruction. "The floors are slippery." My child ran in the house. To this day I still have the note that I wrote to my husband instructing him to meet us at the dentist's office for this child who transgressed my commandment and subsequently chipped their tooth.

If we would learn to go back to the original meanings of some of our culturally mistranslated scriptures and view them, as closely as possible in the light in which they were written, we would have the abundant life that the Messiah spoke of BECAUSE we follow the instruction and teaching of our Father BEFORE the consequences come.

Psalm 119:1-8 AMP

BLESSED (HAPPY, fortunate, to be envied) are the undefiled (the upright, truly sincere, and blameless) in the way [of the revealed will of God], who walk (order their conduct {customs} and conversation) in the law of the Lord (the whole of God's revealed will).

Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) are they who keep His testimonies, and who seek, inquire for and of Him and crave Him with the whole heart.

Yes, they do no unrighteousness [no willful wandering from His precepts]; they walk in His ways.

You have commanded us to keep Your precepts, that we should observe them diligently.

Oh, that my ways were directed and established to observe Your statutes [hearing, receiving, loving, and obeying them]!

Then shall I not be put to shame [by failing to inherit Your promises] when I have respect to all Your commandments.

I will praise and give thanks to You with uprightness of heart when I learn [by sanctified experiences] Your righteous judgments [Your decisions against and punishments for particular lines of thought and conduct].

I will keep Your statutes; O forsake me not utterly.

*****

John 14:15 AMP "If you [really] love Me, you will keep (obey) My commands."

*****

Matthew 5:16 AMP "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your moral excellence and your praiseworthy, noble, and good deeds {mitzvot} and recognize and honor and praise and glorify your Father Who is in heaven."

*****
Ephesians 2:8-10 CJB "For you have been delivered by grace through trusting, and even this is not your accomplishment but God's gift. You were not delivered by your own actions; therefore no one should boast. For we are of God's making, created in union with the Messiah Yeshua for a life of good actions {mitzvot} already prepared by God for us to do."

I am full from the word this Sabbath! Now, Father, help me to mix the word with faith and walk it out in my life this week!

Blessings!





No comments: