Monday, June 6, 2011

Priority # 2 - My Husband - Team Work




I was blessed this morning by a blog I read at A Wise Woman Builds Her Home called Helping Your Husband Lead & Father's Day Resources.

She enumerates four character traits that we as godly wives need to have:

1. Be prayerful---before you act or speak be prayerful. A godly woman is always growing her prayer life, washing in prayer her family, herself and those around her. She knows how important it is to pray for her husband, his walk, his decision making, his character, his work, his mind, his purity, his protection, etc. (1 Thessalonians 5:17)

2. Not fearful.--Many times as wives we act out and do so out of fear. We are afraid our husbands will make a wrong decision, we are afraid of the future, what others will think, etc. We need to recognize when that is happening a realize how we can make bad decisions from it. We need to follow the example of Sarah. (1 Peter 3)

3. Be silent--Before we speak we need to make sure we are not speaking out rashly or driven emotionally. Sometimes it helps to be silent for awhile (yes, I know this is hard for many of us!) and pray and think over the situation. (Ecclesiastes 3:7)

4. Communicate biblically-- After we pray, look to scripture/get wise counsel, we need to communicate biblically. We do this with speech that expresses love, with kindness, forgiveness, submissiveness, always hoping and trusting without anger, pride, not keeping a record of wrongs, etc. (Galatians 5:22)

This really blessed me this morning. It made me think of a baseball team my daughters were on once. The coach's son was obviously gifted at baseball. He could play each and every spot on the team with great precision and skill. The problem was that in every play, he was playing every spot on the team. None of the other children were able to develop much in their skills because before the first baseman could catch the ball, the coach's son was running from short stop with his glove out, "I got it! I got it!" The other children eventually just gave up and let him do everything.

In Proverbs 31, there is a list of responsibilities that women have in the home. Food procurement and preparation, clothing, child rearing, prayer, wise investments, physical fitness, etc. These are not demeaning, they are simply responsibilities that I am accountable for and am supposed to take pride in. If I would take care of the tasks that Adonai has assigned to ME, I would spend less time judging the tasks that Adonai has assigned to my husband. Nobody likes a micromanager. Who assigned me these tasks, my husband? No! My God did and it is HE who will hold me accountable for how they were carried out.

I love how Stormie Omartian's book "The Power of a Praying Wife" begins with a prayer for "His Wife." Before I try to pull the speck out of Friend Hubby's eye, I need to look in the mirror and make sure there's not light pole sticking out of mine!

Lord, help me to be faithful to do MY part!

Blessings!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Absolutely beautiful blog! We would love for you to post some of your thoughts and prayers to our Facebook page "I Love Being A Christian Woman". God bless you!
www.facebook.com/ilovebeingachristianwoman

Donalacasa said...

Thanks for commenting, Valerie. I'm glad you stopped by. I will visit your Facebook site.

Blessings!