Friday, June 3, 2011

Priority #5 - Myself - Downtime

Adonai has really done wonders with my work schedule over the past year. I freely acknowledge that I really had nothing to do with it. Until January, for the previous 5-1/2 years, I had worked for an MTSO (Medical Transcription Service Organization) where my hours were 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. scheduled, but then I would get on and work more hours during the day. One reason why I had had such a late night schedule was that at the time I was hired Friend Hubby worked 3 to midnight. Working kept my mind occupied until I knew he was safely home then we would both stumble into bed exhausted. Over time, Friend Hubby got a new job while I remained at the same one. I was working in the morning before homeschooling, driving kids to afternoon activities, and then coming home and working late again. Through a series of events (seemed unfortunate at the time, but now seem to be most fortunate), I no longer work for that company but now work for two others but my hours are during daylight hours. Wow, what a difference it makes!

In college, I worked for a hospital pharmacy. It was in the basement with no windows, carefully sandwiched between central supply and the morgue. Some of the people I worked with were very nice, but the night shift people seemed to be like the mole people. My job was to hourly carry a shopping cart with medications and IVs up to the 12th floor and stop at all the nurses' stations on the way down dropping off medications and picking up new prescriptions. The eleventh floor had a fantastic view of Pike's Peak and Manitou Springs at the foot of the front range. The view was breathtaking and a welcome escape from the dungeons (oops!) I mean pharmacy.

That has been what the feeling of working in the daytime only has been for me. It has also been nice because I only work half days on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If I can break myself away from these computers long enough, MAYBE I will have fewer boring posts like yesterday about being frustrated with my house because I haven't DONE anything with it. If I'm a good girl, and quickly get the work done that I DO have to get done today, I can reward myself with a yoga class at the Y.

So here I go. Hands off the computer!

Blessings!

No comments: