Thursday, June 9, 2011

Priority #4 and #5 - My Home & Myself - Working it out.





















Our Shavuot Feast was quite a blast. I think we made it our own and it is the beginning of establishing new traditions. Unfortunately, because of the computer problems I had last week, I was not able to take the day off as planned (the day after a festival is usually a Shabbat so that one can rest from the festivities), and so ended up sticking close to home so I could work in the afternoon.

In the morning, I got myself up and out of the house to work in the yard. I hand watered the front lawn that has seen much better days. It's just SAD. We got a postcard from the HOA telling us to encourage SOME growth. It's just so hard with the drought going on. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg at the water department. At the same time, while I was watering, I saw so many cigarette butts in the yard. With all the wildfires going on, it is definitely a concern.

Next I moved into the backyard and worked on my little square foot garden. Just SAD! By the time anything started to grow, the heat swallowed it up. My lettuce bolted before I even knew what in the world bolting was. I moved it into flower pots into a shadier part of the yard. No, I don't know why. I just did it. (sigh)

We finally pulled something up today that looked like it might have become a carrot, if we let it continue at its current rate of growth, in about January 2012. (sigh) My collard greens look so pretty (and small), but I'm told the 100+ degree heat we've been having will swallow them up. (sigh)

The tomatoes that we started from seedlings seem to be doing pretty well. We're starting to get some little yellow flowers. We've been cross pollinating them with a Q-tip, just in case the worldwide shortage of bees happens to be in our area. Boy Wonder and I took the smallest one today and put it in the Topsy-Turvy and hung it from the old swing-set. We'll see if it works.

I dug up my crop failure of carrots, spinach, and tomatoes that didn't survive transplant and put ONE watermelon seed in each square. Then I reserved a couple of books at the library on the subject of preserving and pickling watermelons. I'm going to benefit off of something in this garden, dog-gone-it!

For the future, I did find a nice planting calendar that the Texas A&M Aggies put together probably just for my benefit (be it known to all concerned, we are Baylor Bears and Texas Longhorns around this house). It is a nice chart that will tell me what to plant when so I don't end up having another season like this one. (sigh)

So, after all the stress of yard work, I thought I'd unwind at a yoga class at the Y. I haven't been to a Thursday class in quite a while, this was a new teacher. UNwind is quite the opposite of what we did! I can't tell you how many times the thought went through my head, "You want me to put my leg where???"

Sleep and I are about to become really good friends right about now.

Blessings!

No comments: